Friday, August 31, 2012

One week down

Day 2 of Kinder - Derek and I got to take them to their classroom again. Both went right in and got to work. Their teachers have them in a routine with their backpacks, lunch, snack and folders. It's great to see they are learning and getting into a routine. I picked them up at AlphaBest at 3pm so we could head to Gymnastics. While I was at Gymnastics, Grace’s teacher called me. Grace has been very resistant and defiant when having to leave recess or PE (the things she likes to do). The teacher and I talked about some ways we could help her through this big change. She is going to give Grace a 5 minute transition period to prepare her. I am going to discuss Grace's schedule with her every morning to prepare her for the day. After gymnastics, we stopped at Ms. Kathy’s to visit her and all the kiddos at daycare. The boys ran up to them and hugged them. You could tell everyone missed Ava and Grace. So sweet!

Day 3 – I dropped the girls off by myself in the carpool line. They got out of the car and walked into the cafeteria all by themselves. It was so sad watching them do that all by themselves. My babies are big girls and I miss them already! :( Wednesday was definitely harder then Monday and Tuesday because I have to trust they can get to where they need to go without me. I don’t like that but it has to happen. We had a talk with Grace last night and again this morning so she knows what to expect. It worked!! I got a an email from her teacher that said she had an AWESOME day and she was so proud of Grace. She told Grace that at school so I made sure to praise her at home too. GO Grace!!! We will get her through this and to the next stage! Keep it up!
Day 4 - Another day dropping off in the carpool lane. They did great! I sat and watched them cause I'm that parent! ha! Grace and I went over her schedule this morning and it helped. She had a great day in the classroom but at recess she had some issues. A little girl at recess called her a baby and spit at her and Grace spit back. The teacher saw Grace spit so she got in trouble. Grace freaked out because it wasn't her teacher disciplining her so she got really upset. She went to time out and apologized to the little girl. I got a long email from Mrs. Webb saying her behavior at recess is unacceptable but she did well in the classroom. It's an adjustment period but overall she did great! I got a phone call from Ava's teacher today telling me what a leader she is in class. She follows instructions, heads down with her assignments and a good listener. Seriously, I didn't believe her that is my child! I'm so proud of her for stepping up and being such a big girl this first week. She was ready!
Day 5 - Last day of the week and headed into a long weekend. The girls had a great day and week!! Derek and I dropped them off and they are slowing getting the routine down. Both came home with smiley faces on their calendar for the day. We picked the girls up after school to head to the lake. They talked our ears off for the first hour down the road. Finally, they fell asleep so we could enjoy some peace and quiet. I guess being quiet for 8 hours in the day is difficult so they had to let it all out. Whew!

0 comments: